Donna Beck, of Bonney Lake has been selected as a vote-in contestant in the 7th Annual Manischewitz Cook-Off contest with her recipe for curry spiced pumpking peanut soup, a company press release announced this week.
The only national kosher cooking competition in America is turning to the public to help determine the fifth "People's Choice" finalist; four prior finalists have already been selected by a judging panel.
Contestants were asked to submit a family friendly recipe that can be created in less than one hour, using one of the Manischewitz All-Natural Broths. This competition encourages at home chefs to experiment with Kosher and Manischewitz products and to think about using these kosher items in all types of cuisine, including Japanese, Italian, Mexican, or Greek, all while making delicious, healthy dishes that could become a family favorite.
Beck's recipe was chosen from thousands of submitted recipes, and the opportunity for the public to vote begins on Thursday, Feb. 21 at www.manischewitz.com through Thursday, Feb. 28. All the recipes up for voting are:
- Donna Beck – Bonney Lake, WA – Curry Spiced Pumpkin Peanut Soup
- Loanne Chiu – Fort Worth, TX – Roasted Pomegranate Fish
- Michele Kusma – Columbus, OH – Sweet & Spicy Seared Tuna
- Deb Stoner – Portland, OR – Poached Salmon on Potato Waffles With Beet Reduction
- Janice Elder – Charlotte, NC – Black Thai Lettuce Wraps
The contestant receiving the most online votes will join
- Robin Saul – Atlanta, GA – Balsamic Mushroom Matzo Panini With Mango Jam
- Yitzi Taber – Bergenfield, NJ – Garlic Chicken Rollatini
- Josie Shapiro – San Francisco, CA – Faux Pho
- Allison Hoschander – Woodmere, NY – Chicken Potato & Leek Pie
to compete live at the Manischewitz Headquarters and Manufacturing Facilities in Newark, NJ, on March 21 in front of an esteemed panel of judges, consisting of food media and other culinary experts, for the grand prize worth $25,000 including Maytag® appliances, cash and more. Jamie Geller, who is a cookbook author as well as the founder of Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller magazine and website, will act as head judge.
Vote online at www.manischewitz.com from February 21-28, 2013.