Editor's Note: The following is a press release issued Wednesday by Pierce County.
The Pierce County Auditor's Elections Division is seeking individuals interested in writing “Against” statements for the April 23, 2013 Special Election local voters’ pamphlet in the following Districts:
- Pierce County Fire Protection District No. 18 (Orting Valley Fire and Rescue) – Property Tax Levy
- Pierce County Fire Protection District No. 22 (East Pierce Fire and Rescue) – Annexation of the City of Milton into Fire District No. 22
- City of Milton - Annexation of the City of Milton into Fire District No. 22
These districts did not appoint committee members to prepare “Against” statements for the local voters’ pamphlet. As a result, RCW 29A.32.280 directs the Elections Division to seek out and whenever possible appoint up to three members to form an “Against” committee” for each district.
If you are appointed to the “Against” committee you agree to, read, understand and fulfill the obligations described in the Elections Guide for Jurisdictions – 2013, which contains critical information about:
• Committee appointments and participation.
• Word limits and format requirements for statements and rebuttals.
You also must pledge to work cooperatively with other members of the committee, and have ready access to email.
Committee members’ names and contact information will be printed in the local voters’ pamphlets. You can’t participate anonymously. If you agree to the above responsibilities, email your name and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org. Appointments will be made in the order that the requests are received.
The deadline to request a committee appointment is March 8, 2013 at 4:30 p.m.
The deadline to submit an “Against” statement is March 11, 2013 at 4:30 p.m.